A Number Seven Sent From Heaven

Follow e-Spurs on Twitter here!
 
Article by e-Spurs Writer Chris Mecoy (UK)
 
Hello again Spurs fans.
 
What with all the news about the signings, the great signings, of Paulinho and Chadli, the prospective transfer of Roberto Soldado, and the inevitable Marca nonsense about Gareth Bale's future, it got me thinking of a mainstay of Tottenham's first team over the past 8 years. A man who is without doubt, in my opinion, the single most under-rated player in the Premier League of the last ten years. I refer of course to our little man, the pocket dynamo, the wizard on the wing, Mr. Aaron Lennon.
 
In this day and age, what with ludicrous transfer fees and astronomical wages paid for and to footballers, it's easy to forget that Aaron cost us just 1 million pounds. The word bargain in the Oxford English Dictionary should come with a picture of Lennon next to it! Well over 300 Spurs appearances later, I honestly believe he is getting better and better. The winning goal he scored away at Sunderland last season was a joy to behold, and if a Messi, a Ronaldo or even our very own Gareth Bale had scored that, we'd still be talking about it now. It'd probably be part of the opening sequence on Match of the Day or Football First!
 
Now, while the amount of goals he has played a direct part in leaves a little to be desired (30 goals, 66 assists), that isn't the only part of his game. The semi-common dart inside to allow Kyle Walker the freedom of the right wing has provided many more goals, as has the occasions when he swaps wings with Gareth Bale, or to a lesser extent, Gylfi or Deuce. However, it is the improvement in his intelligence in recent years that has truly impressed me the most. It was always said that Aaron Lennon had all the speed and skill in the world, but his final ball was left wanting. That isn't the case anymore. The most high profile example I could give of course is when he broke with the ball at the San Siro, and rather than trying to round the keeper himself, pulled back an inch perfect pass to Crouch to slot home, and in doing so giving us a famous win.
 
Nor is that the only example I could give.
 
Beating his marking left back on the outside as he dashes into the box, coupled with his trademark cutback have become almost synonymous with his play, and the style of football that we Spurs fans are accustomed to, and I honestly believe he is one of the greatest players to ever wear the famous white. The reason why I write this article is that, with the signing of Chadli, who I cannot wait to see(!), we may not see as much of Aaron Lennon next season, and despite competition for places being a very good thing, that makes me sad.
 
I hope every Spurs fan agrees with me when I say "Thank you Aaron, we've enjoyed watching you for nearly a decade and long may it continue"
 
The season is starting very soon and we'll see many Spurs fans with BALE 11, VERTONGHEN 5 or LLORIS 1 on the back of their replica shirts, but I for one will be standing there with pride when I throw on my home top. LENNON 7!!
 
COME ON YOU SPURS!
 
Comment on this article below.

Other e-Football Sites:

e-Football:
Site -
www.efootballnet.blogspot.com
Twitter Feed - www.twitter.com/e_footballnet
Facebook Page - www.facebook.com/pages/E-football/529821593719736
Forum -
www.e-football.freeforums.net

e-Spurs:
Site -
www.espurs.blogspot.com
Twitter Feed - www.twitter.com/e_spurs
Facebook Page - www.facebook.com/pages/E-SPURS/164631843709508

e-Manchester United:
Twitter Feed -
www.twitter.com/e_ManUtd
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/e-Manchester-United/202927566530790

e-Arsenal:
Twitter Feed -
www.twitter.com/e_arsenalnet

e-Crystal Palace:
Twitter Feed -
www.twitter.com/e_crystalpalace

© e-Football 2013 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Football
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

8 comments:

  1. Not sure about your "one of the greatest" comment but totally agree with everything else. He is without question one of our more important players which becomes totally clear whenever he doesn't play. Our shape and ability to counter attack goes out the window when he's not playing and im sure any opposing teams much prefer to play against us without him. Very few opposing left backs do us any damage offensively when he plays (apart from Leighton Baines last season) such is his effect. One thing you haven't mentioned is how much better in the last 2-3 years he's become defensively. The responsibility he shows to track back and using his speed to make vital interceptions and help others to win the ball back goes relatively un-noticed. I'm a big fan and hope AVB rotates him wisely with Chadli or uses them both as often as possible. Speed and skill win football matches. COYS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you're absolutely right Jay. As soon as I read your comment I was nodding. The defensive effort he puts in is very uncommon for a winger. Just another reason why I rate him so highly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unsung hero, defensive work last season absolutely superb !!
    he is growing in stature every year.Very good article BTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:21 pm

    I think I agree with everything I read in this article, defensively I think Aaron is the best winger in the league, no one works as hard as he does, to add he is humble and not once has he thrown his toys out of the pram to get a bigger contract. 5 years ago I spoke to him on holiday and I asked if he was going to Liverpool, his response, no chance I'm Tottenham and as long as they want me I'll stay. That's loyalty, a few players could learn from him.
    You can look at the Bale heroics last season, but in important games where we drew or lost there was one player missing, Lennon, coincidence, I think not, hence AVB making him Captain in the Europa.
    Another important fact... When Aaron Lennon has scored in a Spurs shirt, we have never lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:37 pm

    I absolutely agree with all that's been said.
    When I first saw this emerging talent called Aaron Lennon, I thought that he was someone special. He just seems to get better all the time. I don't know about losing Gareth Bale, but I hope that we can keep Mr. Lennon..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am from India and I would love to tell u that i started watching football coz of our jet heeled winger Aaron lennon. Nowadays my day starts & ends with it. I do have a 08/09 season jersey with Lennon 7 on it and i will treasure it for d rest of my life. I am 21 and I hope i get a chance to watch Azza grace the WHL pitch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spot on mate! Most underrated player in the PL and my fav! May he stay for 10 more years! COYS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:07 am

    his play is so predictable stand and wait for the ball to drop at his feet if it dont happen a hissy fit then when the balls given to him he gives it straight back a good game at least once a year waste of space sell him.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments:

1-Clean (non-offensive)
2-Spurs related
3-Interesting