Reality Bites

Article by Mark French

It’s time for me to front up as a realist – I think it’s a prerequisite for a Spurs supporter and it’ll stop you going insane.

Sorry, a 1-1 draw at home against WBA is not good enough and if we hadn’t already had a wakeup call for the season, this must surely have been it. WBA ffs! A team who were in the bottom 4 with half the points we have. You just knew that, once they’d equalised they would park the bus and that we would not be able to break them down and score again – having neither the skill nor the guile to do it – and that if they could, they’d hit us on the break and take all 3 points (thankfully we avoided that at least).

Follow e-Spurs on Twitter here

We had an opportunity to stay above United and show that we can put these teams away; a chance to get our forwards on the score sheet; the prospect of staying in touch with 4th/5th; Sherwood’s moment to stamp his personality on the team.

What did we get instead? The awakening, that’s what. We must all now be realising that this looks like another season of “transition”. Are we a team of over achievers, or a team of under achievers? Believe me I no longer know, but I have my suspicions!

After 50 years, I want to give up. I honestly believe we are looking at finishing 7th if we’re lucky, or 11th if we’re not. We could even be the first PL team to sack two Managers in the same season if things don’t change.

I know all of you optimists will be shooting me down on this saying give TS a chance. But optimism won’t help you here and this is not yet about Tim Sherwood, it’s about team confidence which at the moment seems to have disappeared. I sincerely hope TS changes this but I am not convinced he, or anyone can this season.

I could go into my all of thoughts on why, but I’ll just give you few.

As our back line can no longer defend we have Hugo Lloris, one of the best ‘keepers in the PL, feeling like he has to do the job of clearing his lines at all times. He clearly has no faith in our current back 4 without Vertonghen and who can blame him? It’ll be interesting to see where TS plays Jan when he returns.

Our midfielders are confused as to what their individual roles are and, if the wrong players are selected to play together, we have no cohesion or direction.
Our wide players/wing backs fail to deliver at all times and with our forward line starved of service, they can’t score.


Oh and Townsend is not the messiah (he’s a very naughty boy) or the new Bale and he needs to take a leaf out of Lennon’s book and aim for the bye-line to cross and not cut inside to shoot from 25+ yards out.

You can harp on about the injury list as much as you like, but we have a large squad full of quality who should be able to produce good performances and positive results. There are no excuses.

Since the Wet Spam 1-3 loss at WHL everyone has worked out how to play us and we are unable to surprise anyone. Anyone who thinks we are going to get a hatful against Stoke on Sunday is deluded and I’ll be happy with getting 3 points – if only. These two fixtures plus the United one on the 1stJanuary should have yielded 7 points but we’ll be lucky to get 4.

The back half of the season is going to be a bun fight for us but I’m going to emigrate to a place where I can no longer see, listen or read about our games. My disappointment knows no bounds and my faith has gone. Roll on the 2014/2015 season where we can once again fill ourselves with false hope.

© e-Spurs 2013 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of e-Spurs
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

4 comments:

  1. Ah Mark I know that feeling oh so well and I suspect there are many many Spurs fans with similar thoughts, but for me personally usually after 2-3 days my anger , hurt , frustration and disappointment subside , then I'm ready and back up for the fight again . See supporting our beloved is exactly that, a love affair that you just can't turn away from however much it hurts most of the time. Stay strong and remember it's TTID !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:20 pm

    I think we need to let Sherwood & Ramsey get the players out on the training field and see what they can do. They worked miracles with the youth set up, why cant they do I with the senior squad?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:36 pm

    Have every sympathy with the sentiments in this article.Unfortunately those who pull the strings at the club and are mostly to blame for the current sorry state of affairs do not wish to take responsibllity for their actions or rather INactions.Recruitment of personnel,training, team selection and tactics,medical (why is it that injuries to "our" players always seem to last that much longer that in other teams??)are all areas that need revising or explaining to the long suffering fans who appear to be treated as morons who should and do accept whatever is proffered to them in the form of Tottenham Hotspur F.C.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments:

1-Clean (non-offensive)
2-Spurs related
3-Interesting