Tottenham - 'Nothing compares 2U'

As I carried out my research for this piece, our manager, Mauricio Pochettino announced to the world that he had verbally agreed an extension to his contract, keeping him at the club for a further 5 years. I don't mind admitting how pleased and relieved I was to hear this news.

Article by Ian Gunn @COYS64

When Pochettino joined the club, he famously stated that "We will try to give everything to make you proud of this football club, of course". In my mind and great many other Spurs fans, he has made good on this promise and some! Indeed, I would go so far as to say that there now appears to be a real connection from the boardroom to the terraces, via the teams and I think Pochettino's role in this and the young squad he has assembled is pivotal.

I can now say, with some pride that I now feel fully part of the Spurs 'family'. As with all families, you might not always like each other, but you always love one another. For me, I have always loved Spurs, but there has been times in the recent past that I have not liked them. Under Pochettino, he has helped restore my unconditional love for the club and I get the impression that it is reciprocated?

During the day before the game, I kept myself busy. Mainly to avoid the incessant Leicester 'Love In' that I was being consistently bombarded with in every news bulletin*, but also to ignore events at Old Trafford. In the end, a draw kept our faint hopes alive. We also discovered, due to other results that it was highly likely that our much loved and venerable old home would hopefully be seeing Champions League football in its last year?

I couldn't even avoid it on Monday's daytime TV, although I love the so-called academics and third rate celebrities who don't know the difference between the FA Cup and the Premier League...

As I thought about the game at Stamford Bridge, I realised that we hadn't won there in the league since Saturday 10 February 1990. It was during that game that a certain 'crisp promoter' (Gary Lineker) scored and we have since had 25 League trips there since without a win.

To put this into perspective, this was the day when:

- It was announced that Nelson Mandela's would be released from his incarceration.
- Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson in 10 rounds to win the heavyweight boxing crown.
- Nothing compares 2U (by Sinead O'Connor) and Escapade (by Janet Jackson) were the respective number 1's in both the UK and US music charts.

Indeed, I still had a full head of hair then, although it was greying at the time, still I digress.

It is also worth mentioning that a certain Roman Abramovich took over control of Chelsea in July 2003, purchasing just over 50% of Chelsea Village plc's share capital. In the coming weeks, he brought out most of the remaining shares, completing a £140 million takeover. But there I go again, digressing!

As a Spurs fan, this was not my first visit to Stamford Bridge. Indeed, I remember being there during 'Gomes-gate', seeing narrow draws and thumping defeats.

As you would expect as an away fan, you are always guaranteed a 'warm welcome' by the Chelsea fans, so this is one of the grounds, were I remain incognito, in my journeys to and from the ground.

As I walked from Paddington to Stamford Bridge, across Hyde Park, I pondered this evenings team selection, seeing as Alli was suspended. Would Pochettino start Son, or Chadli? Would Eric Dier be fit? Would the footballing Gods look down favourably on us tonight?

As I neared Stamford Bridge, I did my best to mingle into the crowds, steeling myself for the inevitable banks of security staff that would 'guide' my passage into the upper of tier of the away end. It was as I neared the end of the Fulham Road, that the team was announced and It was probably our strongest XI.

As for the game, it was a feisty, full blooded affair. Kane put us 1-0 up, rounding the keeper after a deft through ball from Lamela. Son then doubled our lead, with a fine run and shot past Begovic. In the second half, we had the chances to extend our lead, but Chelsea pulled one back through Cahill. Hazard, then scored the equaliser for Chelsea, with a fine finish that gave Hugo no chance. As the game drew to a close, players threw themselves into challenges and we ended up with 9 players in referee Clattenburg's book. Indeed, Dier was extremely lucky to remain on the pitch after a challenge which probably merited a second yellow? Probably most telling and worrying was seeing Alderweirald limp off towards the end of game, having been felled by Costa, as Toby attempted to pass the ball back to Lloris.

We may also receive a retrospective ban for Dembele after a nasty incident with Costa and there are reports of Rose being involved with Hiddink at the end of game, although it is alleged that some of our players were subjected to racial abuse as they headed down the tunnel?

So, our title bid drew to a close tonight, but I have been incredibly proud of our young team, the manager and the fans for the effort they have put into supporting each other this season. As a proud supporter, we wait for another season to register a victory at Stamford Bridge. However, one thing is certain, on tonight's showing, we shouldn't have too long to wait to see our young team claim all 3 points, rather than the one we came away with tonight.

I was glad of the walk back to Paddington, as it game me time to compose myself (and the last few lines of this blog).

I guess it would be churlish of me not to give the last word to Leicester City. Over the course of the season, they have ground out result after result. The table doesn't lie, they are the Champions. Well done to the team and congratulations to the fans who have supported them through thick and thin. Next years defence of the title will be tough though, just ask Chelsea...

© e-Media Group 2016 All rights reserved no part of this document or this website may be reproduced without consent of @e_media_group
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

2 comments:

  1. Leceister haven't "ground out results".
    Just like Spurs against Chelsea (and Chelsea for that matter: I count a straight red for Chelsea and Spurs, 2 Spurs players should of had 2 yellows= red and Chelsea has a very similar tally although I think they must have been guilty of really cheap tactics etc, Spurs players aren't thought of as dirty where as Chelsea are well known for it so what wound the Spurs players up so much?) Chelsea are definitly guilty of influencing the ref and they manhandeled him at times too. No bookings for it were evident though, Clattenburg needs to be removed from high level refereeing as he isn't good enough but what ref is in England? They seem more interested in being friends with the players than judging the game properly.
    Leicester have been deserving of many yellow and red cards that they didn't get, specifically Morgan and Huth.
    The question I have, but will never see an answer to: who made the decision that Leicester should win? Was it the league owners? We all know that the Premier league has been losing popularity over the last few years due to the same few teams winning every year, this story has boosted viewing numbers and interest in general on a global scale. Would anyone put it past a corporation to do what is best in its interests even if it includes influencing key people? They do it all the time in other business and it's obvious that the brand benefits massively from this 'fairy tale'.
    The refs have been very generous to Leicester all season but especially since people started talking about Leicester winning the league.
    I'm all for giving Leicester credit but to say that they won it fairly, through hard work etc is patently wrong when one looks at replays etc.

    The premier league is becoming a disgrace. Foreign players are bringing their cheating/diving/play acting etc here and it is effecting the standard of the football in this country. English players are now mimicing this behaviour to stay on a level playung field with the foreigners (mostly Spanish/South American/Some African nations/French are the guilty parties. This is the order of guilt imo) Who wants to see players rolling around like synchronised swimmers every five minutes? It's bleeding into lower level football and I've seen it a couple of times at my daughters under 10's games (you know it's bad when girls start copying it!) so something needs to be done!
    I'm finding myself watching Rugby more and more just to get away from the cheap tactics used in Football.

    Eric Lamela isn't suited to the premier league in his current role and he isn't good enough to play in the only role he could play in England (striker) in my opinion, at least, not for a team with top half aspirations. His defending and tackling is woeful, he is far too greedy for his role, measured greed ahould only be displayed by the striker.
    It's such a shame that he cost you guys so much, he would of been dropped long ago if spurs weren't looking at losing so much money on their investment.
    Min Son is a much better all round player and adds far more to the team than Lamela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian

    Great article and I agree with every word - I sit next to you.

    Keep the faith and COYS.

    COYS

    Lynda

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments:

1-Clean (non-offensive)
2-Spurs related
3-Interesting