A Fans Review; Post Season, Current Situation and the Future

Article written by e-Spurs Writer Antony Moule (UK)

Well, just over a week on from the disappointment of not gaining champions league football, I find myself at a supporting wall, struggling to break through. I have spent the last week thinking, analysing and discussing with both fellow Spurs fans and those of an opposition preference about our finish to the season, current situation and future development.

For the first part of the week, I let the disappointment and pessimism seep in, thinking that the season was unsuccessful because we failed to utilise the great chance to step up a level, etc... etc... etc... But I then looked into the finer details more. AVB and the team achieved our highest points total in premier league history, this total was also the highest amount of points any team has accumulated and NOT finished in a champions league place. Now, firstly, as fellow Spurs fans, would you not agree that a combination of those stats could only ever happen to us? I swear we always get the sticky, smelly end of the lucky stick. Anyway, back to my point; if at the start of the season, you offered me 72 points, a points total that is our highest in premier league history, and a points total that had previously been enough to confirm entry to European elite club competition, I, along with all of you (the fans), AVB, Mr Levy and all of the players would have snapped that up and said thank you very much. Sadly, it did not work out that way; which is tribute to our opposition, as well as three minutes of football vs Everton.

Once I put my mind back into overly optimistic fan mode, I said to people that this transfer window makes or breaks our progression. If we sign the right players in the right positions, we could have a special team. However, failure to do so will see us slip way behind our closest competitors, but being the optimist I am, I said we would sign a top striker; either Benteke or Damiao, and we would sign a top midfielder, a Moutinho, but look what happened there, Joao went off to south of France instead. My point is that; although silly season officially starts in a month, I feel that we have already missed out on our most important signing, we are yet to announce the third best player in the world (according to Zidane) has signed a new deal, and Real Madrid are going to try and compete with a Messi, Neymar Barcelona with a Ronaldo, Bale pairing. In a nut shell, not the ideal situation we would like going forward.

So that's the past week up till right now, and I'm confident that many of you have experience something similar, but let us look to the future. What we want and what will happen are, at the moment, two different entities. What I want us to do is, firstly, get Bale on big money, and tie him down. Secondly; on July 1st we announce a signing of a top player for a required position, a striker, or midfielder, in order to really show we have intent, eagerness, and the ability to attract top players. Then what I want us to do all our business in July; that's buying and selling. This will ensure a full preseason with new players, as well as starting the season with a full squad, unlike last year. If there is a bargain deal to be done late on, then obviously take it under consideration, but let’s do what we need to do nice and early.

As for who to sign, that's a whole article in itself, and most likely my next one (keep an eye out), but right now, our current situation is of obscurity and unknowing, but I will remain optimistic and faithful to Mr Levy's ability to alter his tactics when required (looking at selling Berbatov compared to Modric) and to AVB's scouting prowess.
Antony Moule.

Comment on this article below and follow e-Spurs on Twitter www.twitter.com/e_spurs
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

3 comments:

  1. Thistiimenextyearblahblahblah...7:54 pm

    Optimist = Non Spurs fan or very new one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:11 pm

    striker we should look at is eduardo vargas on loan plays for napoli but napoli are open to offer class player can score goal and very good workrate will fit the bill at tottenham

    ReplyDelete
  3. THISTIIMENEXTYEARBLAHBLAHBLAH...

    I'm Antony Moule, the author, and it is funny you should say that, my father, also a Spurs fan, would completely agree with your statement, been a Spurs fan for about 12 years or so, fair recent I guess, but I am aware of our history.

    Appreciate the comments guys, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments:

1-Clean (non-offensive)
2-Spurs related
3-Interesting